On a famous TV show, they used to say “Winter is coming” — and it meant really bad things for those fictional characters. And while you might not love the cold winter months, they provide a great opportunity for people who are planning to build their dream homes.
While it’s difficult to start building during the cold weather because the ground is too hard, you can get ahead of the game with all the planning that’s needed before breaking ground. Plus, starting your planning early helps you avoid having to make big decisions under deadline pressure.
At Patuxent Architects, our company motto is ”from dream to reality.” When you come to us to plan your dream house, we ask that you bring three things: your ideas, your questions, and an open mind!
When you’re using winter time to plan your dream home, consider these important things:
- Do research on your preferred location(s). (The Golden Rule of Real Estate has always been “location, location, location!”)
- Check out current design trends for additional ideas and inspiration.
- Think about any special needs you might have in creating inclusive and accessible spaces.
- If you have family members living with you, consider designing your home for in-laws and multigenerational living.
- Decide if you’d like a custom design by an architect vs. builder/stock plans.
- Consider your timing — if you plan in the winter, you can have your home built in spring. This is ideal for families with kids, who can move after the school year without disrupting their education. Plus, you have summer to unpack and set up the house the way you want.
- Set your budget — taking into account your design, materials, finishing selections, etc.
- Obtain any necessary permits. (We help with this!)
We understand that every project is unique, and we always offer consultations to discuss your project in more detail and explain how we can help. Set up your meeting here:
Let us help you turn your dream home into reality!